Welcome!

Thanks for visiting Trapping Supplies Review. This is a place for trappers to share their insights on all things related to trapping. If you would like to contribute a trapping article, equipment review or stories and pictures from your trapline, please click "contact me" in the sidebar and I'll be happy to include your post. Meantime, please feel free to post comments on any topic if you have additional insights. Together we can make this website a valuable resource for trappers.

Duke Dog Proof Traps

The Duke dog proof traps came out over a year ago, and they seemed to cause quite a stir of conversation on trapping blogs and forums.  Why?  Because, like all Duke traps, they are more economical than most of the competitors.  Dog proof traps ain't cheap, and to purchase a respectable number of them is a sizable investment.  The new Duke DP's were initially looked upon with suspicion by most, precisely because they are quite a bit cheaper than similar offerings by other companies.  However, after finally acquiring a few of my own for testing this year, so far I have found them to be of very good quality.

I have used foothold traps exclusively for years, but decided to expand my horizons a bit and add a dozen  Duke dogproof traps into the mix this season.  Besides the obvious advantage of cutting down on non-target catches, my main motivation for trying DP's is to keep my 'coon line running after the weather hits that freeze-thaw seesaw.  Keeping footholds freeze-proof can be done, obviously, but I personally find it to be a pain in the butt.  A self-contained, above ground trap offers many advantages when the weather goes bad.  So, that's part of my plan for this season.

Here's a Duke dog proof trap out of the box:

   
Here's another view:


One thing I like is the sturdy stabilizing stake on the bottom of the trap.  After anchoring the trap from the chain with a rebar or cable stake, the trap can simply be pushed into the ground and stabilized in the upright position.  The springs are VERY strong on these traps right out of the box.  The trigger inside the tube of the trap is activated by being pulled, so bait is placed on the trigger itself and/or below the trigger at the bottom of the trap tube.  These pictures show the trigger within the tube and the trap in the set position:



The only modification I made was to shorten the chain and add a mid-chain swivel.  I don't see the need for so much chain on the stock trap, and you can never have enough swivel action to keep the 'coons from twisting out of the trap or damaging a foot.  Here's my slightly modified trap chain:


I'll post some results once I get these traps in action.  I'm waiting until mid-November until our Pennsylvania raccoons are prime.  If you have any tips or experiences to share regarding these traps, I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I used some of these for the first time last year. I have great raccoon habitat just 40 yards from my back door but have dogs and cats that are house hold pets that run in the same area. One of these in my back yard caught over 15 of the bandits with zero non target catches and zero missed animals.

    Walmart sells a jumbo marsh mellow that I loved as bait. With the aid of a stick it was easy to tuck the marsh mellow behind the trigger to make sure the coon trips it.

    If I could suggest adding an old beat up screw driver or something of similar diameter to your tool bag as a setting tool for these traps. Make sure it fits inside the opening! Compress the spring far enough to get the screw driver handle inside the trap. With a little practice you'll see how to use the screw driver handle to get these set quickly and with less headache.

    ReplyDelete