Welcome!

Thanks for visiting Trapping Supplies Review. This is a place for trappers to share their insights on all things related to trapping. If you would like to contribute a trapping article, equipment review or stories and pictures from your trapline, please click "contact me" in the sidebar and I'll be happy to include your post. Meantime, please feel free to post comments on any topic if you have additional insights. Together we can make this website a valuable resource for trappers.

Gettin' Ready (And a Shout Out for Minnesota Trapline Products)

Hi folks.  I know it has been quiet around here lately, but with the season just around the corner there will be a lot more activity here on TSR.

I love this time of year...cleaning out the fur shed, getting my gear ready and enjoying the cool weather.  It's amazing how much there is to do to get ready for a new trapping season, but tinkering around in my fur shed is one of life's small pleasures.

I ordered a few supplies, including a few of the Duke dog-proof traps that I plan to experiment with this year.  I'm not so concerned about non-target catches in the places I trap...I'm more interested in trap sets that will remain operational when the weather hits that freeze-thaw stage.  Weatherproofing foothold sets can be a real headache, so I thought I'd seriously try some dog-proof traps this year.  Being self-contained with the ability to set them above ground, it seems like dog-proof traps will be just the ticket in the colder months when footholds get tricky to use.  I'll be experimenting, and I'll be sure to post some reviews of the Duke DP traps along the way.  I've only used footholds for years, so it's time to try something new.

I also thought I'd mention the great service I got from the Caven family at Minnesota Trapline Products.  I've made plenty of orders with them before, and they never disappoint.  I placed an order on Monday, it shipped the same day and I received it on Wednesday (in Pittsburgh, PA).  Besides quick shipping, they have a great selection of products (anything you could ever need, really) and competitive prices.  I've ordered things from other places, and have generally had good experiences, but I can't think of any reason to use another online supply company besides Minnesota Trapline Products.  They're top notch.

Well, I wish you all the best as you gear up for a new season.  If you'd like to contribute anything to the site, like a review, a trapping tip, pictures or just a good story, please send me an email.  Your contributions are always welcome!!!

Best wishes, and tight chains!
C.J. 

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're back. Best of luck this season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ian. Good to see you around here again! As always, best of luck to you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for adding me to your blogroll today. It's much appreciated. I look forward to hearing how the Duke DP's work for you. I'm trying some this year myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited to start my second season! I dipped a few traps the other day and have some in vinegar and water in preparation for dye and wax. A new spool of steel cable and a swagger followed me home the other day. The cable will be used to make Missouri legal cable restraints and provide the cable for some wolf fang anchors.

    I too have had great experiences with Minnesota Trapline Products. The speed with which they get my orders shipped is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. C.J., waxed dirt is the answer to winter footholds. Try it and you'll be a believer.
    Good luck. Kip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kip. Yeah, I've been meaning to try waxed dirt for years but never got around to it. Do you make your own? This is something I need to try! Hey, how about a short article on that subject???

    ReplyDelete
  7. This year peat moss is going with me after things get really wet or start to freeze. Bob Wendt swears by it.

    ReplyDelete