Welcome!

Thanks for visiting Trapping Supplies Review. This is a place for trappers to share their insights on all things related to trapping. If you would like to contribute a trapping article, equipment review or stories and pictures from your trapline, please click "contact me" in the sidebar and I'll be happy to include your post. Meantime, please feel free to post comments on any topic if you have additional insights. Together we can make this website a valuable resource for trappers.

Snaring Tire Tracks

by "ADC" in Iowa

Here's the one I snared....


And here's how I did it....
Notice the second snare in the left tire track (click pic to enlarge).


I drove along a fence through this corn field.  Knowing that fox take the path of least resistance, I stopped and walked back in my tire tracks about 20 yards until I found a spot where a cornstalk was sticking up near the tire tracks and simply hung the snare over the track using an 8" loop 8" off the ground. I use #9 wire pigtailed on a 20-24" long 1/2" rebar stake to both support and anchor the snare. If you look you can see the snare in the other tire track still set. I make up to 3 sets in each track every fifty yards or so. I use live catch snares for fox due to the deer stop laws in Iowa.  They won't close tight enough to kill a fox so I use bigger cable (3/32) and bigger locks (Hanson Washers or Heavy Berkshire Washers) to prevent fur damage. I hope this helps you all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment