Welcome!

Thanks for visiting Trapping Supplies Review. This is a place for trappers to share their insights on all things related to trapping. If you would like to contribute a trapping article, equipment review or stories and pictures from your trapline, please click "contact me" in the sidebar and I'll be happy to include your post. Meantime, please feel free to post comments on any topic if you have additional insights. Together we can make this website a valuable resource for trappers.

Predator Set with a Double Longspring Trap

Submitted by a friend in Oregon

I'm a longspring trap sort of guy. I'm not sure why. I collect them, tune them, rebuild them and modify them. I like the way they look hanging on my barn. It's something of an old-school mentality.


Here's how I make a set with a double longspring.  First I gather my tools and put them in my pack basket. LOL


I dig out a trap bed leaving some loosened soil in the bottom of the bed. Put the trap in with the dog towards the rock with the lure on it. Wiggle it back and forth while pushing it down until you get it solid in the bed. Push on the corners of the trap jaw to see if it tips. Place small stone under the loose jaw until the trap is solid in the bed.


We have some good moss here in Oregon that I dry out and lay around the pan in between the jaws.


A gob of gland lure goes on the rock with a light pile of fur needle duff, small bones, and a small chicken feather mixed in. A few inches to the left of that I put another type of gland lure on a rock and a little duff over it. Behind that I have taken a large rib bone and poked it in the dirt until just the top sticks out and saturated it with predator urine. I want the set to appear to a passing predator that several other predators have been scent marking there. The set is made off the main through trail a few feet and slightly built up on both sides with duff and such to create a slight walk through type path for the predator to follow while investigation the odors and the animal dropping placed in the trail just like a predator would.


There are small stones placed near the trap to guide the predators foot onto the trap. A couple of small branches lay behind the set to encourage the predator to work the set from the trap side. The trap is set on the north side of the scent being that the prevailing wind usually comes from the south east. Dirt and fur needle duff is sifted over the entire set to blend in and hide the trap.


No comments:

Post a Comment